PRIDE CVD-CGE Admissions
PRIDE Summer Institute in Cardiovascular Disease Comorbidities, Genetics & Epidemiology
General admissions requirements:
Cardiovascular Disease Comorbidities, Genetics & Epidemiology is an interdisciplinary field. We have drawn faculty of diverse backgrounds to mentor junior faculty and scientists in this discipline to enhance the participant’s preparation to conduct future research in this field. We believe this all-expense-paid training will foster a unique learning environment and give the participants access to cutting edge research. As a special program to increase diversity in the biomedical workforce, entry into the program is limited to the following with a major commitment to seek grant funding for the pursuit of independent research in HLBS areas:
- Be a research-oriented junior-level faculty member or transitioning post-doctoral trainee (with a faculty appointment starting before the first Summer Institute).
- Be an individual who is under-represented in the biomedical or health sciences or disabled.
- Be a Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States.
- Have a research focus that is centered on heart, lung, blood, and sleep disorders research; health disparities research relevant to heart, lung, blood, and sleep disorders; or relevant research methodologies and approaches specific to these areas.
Additional required information
- A letter of support from the Department Chair that allows the mentee to fully participate in the program, and to
- Devote 5% protected time and effort throughout the program
- Devote 100% effort to all program activities
- Have release/protected time to perform SRP if funded
- Have access to institutional resources for preparing grant applications
- Approximate expected time commitments for Summer Institute (plus travel):
Summer 1: 2 weeks in July/Aug
Mid Year Visit: 2-3 days plus travel tentatively in January
Annual Workshop-Conference in Washington, DC area: 3-4 days in April or May
Summer 2: 2 weeks end of July into August
- The applicant’s statement of Research Interest in the PRIDE Cardiovascular Disease Comorbidities, Genetics and Epidemiology program and potential topics of interest.
- Contact the Program Administrator, Linda Schreier at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (314) 362-1565, if you have any questions or concerns.
We have a two-step admission process with a Pre-Application and an Application. Please complete the Pre-Application if you are interested in applying to our PRIDE program.
If your Pre-Application Form is approved, you will be invited to proceed with the final step of the application process. As soon as the Pre-Application form is reviewed, we will contact you.
Your application for admission to the Summer Institute should consist of the following:
The application includes:
- The online Pre-Application form,
- The online Full Application form if invited,
- Attachment of your curriculum vita,
- Attachment of a brief statement that describes your academic or work experience in Biostatistics, Genetics, and Epidemiology
- Your statement of Research Interest in Cardiovascular Disease Comorbidities, Genetics and Epidemiology
- Contact information for your Department Chair and Mentor/Colleague
Upon submission of the Full application, an email will be sent to your Department Chair and also a mentor or colleague that you have identified. Please notify them to expect this.
Upon receipt of your complete application including the forms and the Letters of Recommendations, your application will be reviewed and a written notification of the decision of the committee will be provided to the applicant as soon as possible.
Deadline: Rolling admissions until all slots are filled. Apply Now!
The applicant will then have seven (7) days to either accept or decline in writing any offer of admission in order to hold his/her place in the program. Should the applicant accept the offer, a letter of acceptance must be received within the 7-day period.
Linda Schreier, PRIDE Program Administrator
660 S. Euclid Ave., Becker Medical Library, Rm 511
St Louis, MO 63110